Olive oil is not only beneficial as a form of nutrition, but it also has extraordinary health and healing properties. Although it should be noted that olive oil does not have today the divine character attributed to it in the past, or the same condition of an essential energy source in nourishment, but it does represent the new health myth and concern for a healthy and balanced diet as well as being the ancestral component that all of us retain in our habits and customs. All these factors remain in effect in this wonderful product that some call "liquid gold ", which is why olive oil is an item considered half food and half medicine.
Olive oil is called liquid gold as it contains properties very good your health.
Olive oil, the symbol of our Mediterranean diet, is the best fat with which to fry food, as it forms a consistent layer around the food. With it, the food retain its juices and does not absorb more oil. Although it gets very hot (180 º C), it suffers the least alteration during heating so it can be reused more times than other oils. In addition, vegetable oil contributes to a greater number of factors beneficial for our health.
Studies carried out by the departments of Cardiology and Clinical Biochemistry from the Faculty of Medicine, University of Zaragoza, showed that the substitution of sunflower oil consumption for olive oil over a period of ten weeks reduced blood cholesterol by 13% on average. Olive oil has great influence on the body, here below are the effects on different systems and devices:
ON THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- Decreases gastric acid secretion.
- Decreases pancreatic secretory activity without affecting the digestibility of food.
- Improves emptying of the gallbladder, which prevents the formation of gallstones.
- Improves intestinal absorption of various nutrients, especially inorganic, correcting conditions such as anemia (enhances iron absorption).
ON THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
- Causes a decrease in total blood cholesterol.
- Lowers LDL (bad cholesterol).
- Does not adjust the levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
- Stimulates the production of vasodilators (improves blood flow).
- Decreases the ability of oxidation of LDL cholesterol, preventing heart attacks by atheroma.
- Lowers blood pressure.
Olive oil helps to regulate our blood pressure.
ON OXIDATIVE PROCESSES
- Olive oil is a major impediment to cellular oxidation, so it helps prevent many diseases and even premature aging.
- About diabetes patients: Improving the patient's lipid profile.
- Lowers blood glucose, leading to reduced daily doses of insulin.
OTHER MEDICAL USES OF OLIVE OIL
- Pliny the Elder, in the first century, used olive leaves (alone or mixed with oil or honey) to heal ulcers, fever, muscle fatigue and tetanic convulsions.
- Homeopathic medicine prescribed olive leaves and bark infusion for high blood pressure because it contains a bitter glucoside with hypotensive action.
- As a laxative, emollient and protective of the intestinal tract inflammation.
- In topical use in enemas, in certain dermatoses (eczema, psoriasis) or burns, in the form of liniment oil-limestone.
- Dermatologists also recommend it to clean the skin to facilitate the healing of the ointments.
- In Kenya and Tanzania, the Masai use olive tree roots to protect against malaria (practice only, homeopathic basis).
HEALING REMEDIES WITH OLIVE AND OLIVE OIL
TO QUIT SMOKING: Against smoking we can point out the popular old-fashioned method proven effective for many people. Every morning, before eating anything, take 5 drops of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from a spoon (preferably silver, as it will help avoid damage to the acidity of the oil). The popular wisdom says that little by little, they should eliminate dangerous addictive effects of nicotine ...
ACNE: Rub the affected part with a quarter of a litre of olive oil which are dissolved 100 drops of lavender essential oil. We can also wash the affected area with homemade soap made with extra virgin olive oil and soda.
OSTEOARTHRITIS: Marinate in the sun for 20 days 80 g of dried chamomile flowers in a pint of olive oil. Strain and use for massage.
GALL STONES: For gall stones take every day, on an empty stomach, a tablespoon virgin olive oil with lemon.
SCIATICA: Prepare a poultice marinate for two days, 200 grams of corn flour, 400 grams of brandy, 200 grams of crushed dried figs and 20 grams of brown mustard powder. When the ingredients have soaked up the alcohol and you have a paste, spread it over the affected area after first smearing it with virgin olive oil. The application will take 2 to 3 hours.
ECZEMA: Massage the affected area with extra virgin olive oil.
GUMS: To maintain healthy gums chew frequently on fresh olive leaves.
CONSTIPATION: Mix and have a camomile tea with a soup spoon of virgin olive oil.
AGAINST HEMORRHAGES: Bring in from the field a grass called rue (ruda) and let it dry. Crush the dried grass into a powder. Apply the powder to the wounds with a little virgin olive oil or olive oil dissolved in a little water. The bleeding should stop and the wound will heal quickly.
HEMORROIDS: Wash, with warm or hot water, the affected area with soap home made with extra virgin olive oil and soda. Rinse with cold water.
SWELLING: Crush a garlic clove along with a piece of cotton or gauze. Smear the affected area with a little bit of virgin olive oil and wrap the gauze or cotton from before in another gauze. Leave it on the swelling until it goes back down.
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE: Boil 40g of olive leaves in a litre of water, filter, sweeten and take two small glasses a day.
STROKE: Marinate in the sun for a fortnight hypericum flowers coated in olive oil; filter and use for massages. It is also an excellent remedy for any type of burns.
OTITIS MEDIA (MIDDLE EAR INFECTION): Pour two drops of warm olive oil into the ear canal, or apply a cotton swab soaked in warm oil.
BURNS AND SUNBURN: For burns, this is a weird yet wonderful recipe. When it snows, collect a bit of recently fallen snow and mix it with a quarter of a litre of olive oil in a dark glass bottle. Smear this mixture, shake before use, in the case of burns. Or mix well olive oil and egg whites and apply to afffected areas.
To eliminate sunburn, prepare a oil-lime liniment: mix 100g of extra virgin olive oil with 100g of lime. Put in a bottle and shake before use, apply gently to the affected area.
To ease the pain of burns rub them with soap homemade Virgin Olive Oil and soda.
RHEUMATISM: Mix extra virgin olive oil with a little bit of camphor until it dissolves. Then, massage the painful area, this should soothe the pains immediately.
The most effective remedy is without doubt to put on the painful area a plaster soaked with fermented pomace oil. Formerly, this application was performed instead of mud. Cook cabbage in water with onion, carrots (30 to 40 grams combined) and the juice of a lemon. Add a few drops of virgin olive oil and drink a cup every hour.
CHILBLAINS: Apply virgin olive oil directly onto the areas affected by the chilblains.
SPRAIN: Sprains, muscular pain, tendinitis y neuritis will be soothed quickly with massage made with a mixture of olive oil and crushed garlic.
ULCERS IN THE VARICOSE VEINS: Marinate for three weeks, a bunch of burdock (Arctium lappa) in a litre of olive oil. Applied on the diseased leg it accelerates the healing of ulcers. The relief is immediate.